Thursday 26 February 2015

World Cup 2015 - The Pundits View Group Game 2



This morning we are at the Stadio Olimpico in Rome where Portugal Boss Beddows has kindly invited the pundits to watch his side train ahead of tonight’s crucial game v Chile.

JV and The Doctor are joined once again by Good Doctor Fox who spent yesterday searching for new signings with the Italian Navy in the Mediterranean Sea, and Ted Powell holidaying who agreed at late notice to fill in for Lee Reynolds who had refused to come out of his room amid reports in the local media of an argument between Reynolds and Miss Posh. Is Mr Posh back on the scene?

The Doctor: Morning guys, hope we are all well today. I really enjoyed Montenegro v Croatia last night and was delighted to see Friend's side get through to the next round. Ted it’s great to see you at such short notice thanks for coming to join us, you enjoying the World Cup.

Ted: 100%. I am enjoying the Italian hospitality and their passion for food, wine and football. Last night I went to watch Ivory Coast v Paraguay and Kinnear was once again immense. I even invested in an “I love Gino” T-shirt, it is in the wash now otherwise I’d be wearing it. They say that experience counts for a lot and I tell you what he is ‘bossing’ it at the moment. Ivory Coast have a big match v Belgium tonight, but the Belgians are absolutely terrible.

JV: Well I had a great time at Turkey v France. I like Razzaque don’t get me wrong but the whole culling of Turkey yesterday really was a little over the top and his face was a picture when his team threw away a 3-1 lead inside the last 15 minutes, Erding and Turan jumped on Gardiner and the poor bloke has apparently strained a muscle. They still have a chance of getting through don’t they?”

Ted: “Yes… IF Turkey beat Albania (a grudge match) and Ireland beat France there is a good chance they can turn around their goal difference to qualify. But he might rue that opening defeat to the Irish. What about Group B though… we shouldn’t say it as he is only over there but Portugal were terrible last night.”

The Doctor: “Actually Ted I don’t think people are giving Jamaica enough credit. Ricketts was incredible in goal and so were the Jamacian defence. I can see a few Jamacian players bound for the English lower leagues next season. Ecuador though… I mean come on… poor man management allowing them to race llamas on the morning of the game what was he thinking. Chile look very strong.”

Fox: “They do… but for me Germany and Argentina are the teams who will win it. Both unbeaten both already through. Germany were clinical against their neighbours. It appeared more like an invasion the amount of time Germany spent in the Austrian half. Argentina too very impressive. Is this Messi’s year?”

JV: “Well it isn’t Spain’s is it? I saw the highlights and they just looked lethargic. And Dodger has them (Slovenia) playing some great football I really hope they go through but it is going to be tough against those Welsh-Czechs. Is it true what I read in ‘The Belfast Tele’ that Cooper’s call to get the valleys supporting the Czechs has seen sales of Czech shirts in Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol rocket by 5000%?”

Ted: “I didn’t see that one myself JV. But loving the front page again. PWM does get around a bit? Are we going to see him with Bush tomorrow. All joking aside though N.Ireland showed their fighting spirit to get a point against Russia.”

Fox: “Yes and with Italy through (another title contender there) it is one of USA, N.Ireland and Russia to go through… with the Irish facing the USA could we see the unlikely happen? Wasn’t Berlusconi at the N.Ireland match? Scouting PMW for the Milan job some say?”

The Doctor: “That is where I am off tonight. N.Ireland v the Yanks. I like the Yanks but prefer the Chinese so many more potential Plymouth fans in China. I was invited to watch Uruguay v Austria which is a winner takes all contest but apparently PMW is going to bang his drum and that was something I could not miss. Where are you off to JV?”

JV: “I thought about going to watch Beddows mess it all up v Chile but have decided against it to be honest. That group H match… Dodger v Cooper. Intriguing match up. Both great managers and too close to call in my opinion.

Fox: “What are the bookies saying about Paraguay now? FrankBet had them at 40/1 to begin with didn’t you have a flutter JV? Wasn’t in £40 at 40/1?”

The Doctor: “The bookies have backed them to 20/1 now. Portugal and Spain have drifted, while the Germans, Argentinians and Italians have shortened significantly.”

JV: “It was actually £400 actually. I borrowed the money from Leeds United. I promised I’d make them some money to reinvest… so that’s 400 x 40 = £16000… we can buy some great players with that.”

Ted: “Oh quick lets get a word with Beddows… Beddows come here.”

Beddows: “What’s up lads?”

JV: “So you were a success with Blackburn but you clearly look like a failure with Portugal? What’s going wrong? How did you fail last night?”


Beddows: “John, you of all people should know that it isn’t about winning it is about finishing 2nd. In fact you’ll be pleased to know that I have Andy Murray coming to speak to the lads this afternoon.”

4 comments: