Thursday 26 February 2015

SHORT QUITS AS AUSTRIA CRASH OUT

Following Austria's 4-0 defeat at the hands of Uruguay which sent them crashing out of the World Cup, Clive Short announced he won't continue as the teams head coach.

"It's been a horrible few weeks" stated Short, "with the relegation and now this. I had genuine hopes of getting to at least the quarters but it isn't to be. We haven't been good enough up front. We've created plenty of chances in all three games but not taken them chances. Defensively we haven't been able to contain the attacking threat Germany and Uruguay have in their lockers. We created more chances and had more shots on target than Uruguay and lost 4-0. I'm a little pissed off at the moment to be honest."

"My contract with the Austrian FA was only for the World Cup and then we were going to discuss the possibility of an extension providing myself, Ben (Burton Chairman) and the Austrian FA were all happy. But we have a massive job on at Burton and I need to fully focus on that. I thank the Austrian FA for this fabulous opportunity but at this moment I don't feel I can commit the time combining the two roles so it's only fair they have the time look for someone in time for the Euro qualifiers. I won't be taking any time off. I'll be straight back at Burton tomorrow when I land back in England."

So who does Short think will go on to become World Champions?? "I don't think you can look too far past Germany. They have a very strong squad but to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a shit who wins it. England aren't here so I won't be taking further interest in it. I'll be too bloody busy."

No comments:

Post a Comment