Thursday 19 February 2015

Middlesbrough Season Wrap Up

Since taking over Middlesbrough in the middle of January, The Good Doctor Fox was tipped as a favourite for the drop and many expected Season 6 for the north East side would be taking place in Division 3.

The first couple of games seemed to go rather routinely with losses at home to Bolton and away to Charlton. Fox had to wait until his third game in charge to claim his first point at home to Cardiff City.

Fox stated that he expected the first few games to be ‘casualties of war’ as the squad was unfit and very top heavy, favouring attack instead of defence and indeed the team were leaking goals, conceding 7 in the aforementioned first three games.


After the draw against Cardiff, it was clear that TGDF wanted to build upon new tactics, focus on stabilising the defence while making the most out of the flurry of attacking options, there couldn’t be a tougher challenge as his side travelled to league leaders (and new Division 2 champions), Blackburn Rovers.

“I felt that the Blackburn game was my first real game in charge, the team was fit again, I had my own tactics and mentality in place and transfers were starting to come in and out to mould what I wanted the team to be. I felt for the first time my side was picked though my own hand, not a forced one.”

The match re-vitalised Middlesbrough’s season as the team captured a hugely unexpected 3-0 win at Ewood Park.


A slight dip against Sunderland in the North East derby saw Boro lose 1-0 but Middlesbrough bounced back going on a 7 game unbeaten streak claiming scalps from top teams in the division, scoring 22 goals in the process and conceding 7, 3 of which in a 3-3 draw with Watford.

“I think it showed at that point we didn’t need as many attackers as we had when I took over, I trimmed it down quite substantially and we still managed to score on a very frequent basis. I think it does still show that work may be needed in defence a little especially with our loanee’s going back to their clubs. For the work they have put in, I truly can’t thank them or their managers enough.

It wasn’t just an effort on their side though, our own players really pulled their socks up and gave everything they had. It has shown tremendous character on their part as they knew what it was like previously going from game to game struggling to pick anything up. They have really shown what they are capable of.”


Overall Middlesbrough finished 14th in Division 1, 8 places away from the drop zone they were predicted to finish up in with a whopping 20 point cushion.


“I have shown what this team is capable of and while I put tactics in place, they are the ones going all out on the pitch. If this is what they are able to accomplish in such a short space of time, imagine what they will be capable of next season!”

No comments:

Post a Comment