Saturday 14 February 2015

BREWERS DROP

Burton Albions' brave scrap against relegation came to an end following a 1-0 defeat at Colchester. 15 points from safety when Clive Short took on the impossible they came within 2 points only last week but two successive defeats will see them ply their trade in division 4 next season. The manager was really in a no lose position when taking the reigns at The Pirelli. With relegation now confirmed blame will surely lay at the door of previous managers and the players. Had the great escape, as many in the media had been calling it, had happened he would have been hailed a hero. In his post match interview the manager said he is willing take the blame and that the players should be proud of themselves for trying put things right.

"I've been in charge for 15, 16 games now. That's enough points there to of got out of trouble so if people to want to put any blame on me that's fine. When I took the job I said to the players I didn't expect them to suddenly become Real Madrid overnight. Just to go out each game and give me 100% of what they have. And apart from 1 or 2 who aren't here anymore they have done that. I also made a point of needing to get the fans back which we have. Each game I have put out the strongest team available to me. I've been asking a 37 year old Emile Heskey who hasn't been able to train for 6 weeks to turn the clock back 10 years. These lads have given me absolutely everything and I thank them for that but unfortunately it just wasn't enough."

With a certain betting company taking bets on Stephen Beddows becoming the next manager at Burton Short insists he won't be walking away.

"Look, if Beddows wanted this job he had enough opportunities to at least apply before I came in. But, to be honest I don't think he has the bottle to take on a relegation battle like this. I said this several weeks ago and I will say it again. I won't walk away. It's up to me now to put a squad together to compete at the right end of division 4. I have a list of around 200 players from all around the world who I think can do a job here. It's now up to me, my coaching staff and the chairman to determine who we could realistically bring in and who to retain from the current squad."

Chairman Ben Robinson who sat by the managers side insists the manager still has his full support.

"Clive almost pulled off the impossible. We were down and out when he arrived. We agreed on what changes will need to be made to the squad weeks ago and these changes would have happened regardless. I continue to believe in the manager and I look forward to working with him for many seasons to come. As for Mr Beddows? I can only echo what my manager has just said."

2 comments:

  1. Yeah unlucky Clive, I expect to see Burton back in division 3 next season though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good write up would have certainly been the great escape. Here's to getting back to Division 3

    ReplyDelete