Thursday 26 February 2015

PARAGUAY MARCH ON

 
 
 
WORLD CUP ITALIA2015 - DAY 3
 
Two surprising wins have made people and animals alike sit up and take notice of Paraguay. Tuesday seen a late comeback stun the disappointing Belgians with Paraguay winning 3-2 and last night it was the Australian resort of Ivory Coast that felt the second half magic as they crashed to a 3-0 defeat. This has left Paraguay at the top of Group C with 6 points. Tonight they face the American city of Georgia knowing that if they avoid a 4 goal defeat, they will move through to the knockout stages.
Once again they have a 12km trip from their base at Afragola and once again they will be greeted by the Paraguay fans, decked out in the red white and blue of the country and their I love Gino t shirts. The sale of these t shirts have been phenomenal with only the 1984 version of  'Do they know it's Christmas' single selling more.
 
The 'I love Gino' T Shirts have sold out
 
 
Again, this morning, it was light training and Alka-Seltzer for the players as they prepare for tonight's match. We managed to catch up with left sided midfield player Lorenzo Melgarejo to ask him his opinion on how things have went so far. He said
 
'¿Qué? ¿Cuál es tu pregunta? ¿Quién eres? Yo no hablo inglés así que ¿por qué no tomar la cámara y cosas la lente por donde no brilla el sol. Y ¿a quién estás mirando? ¿Quieres comprar cocaína? Te puedo hacer un muy buen precio.'
 
Thank you Lorenzo.
 
Geordie boy Lorenzo
 
Next we caught up with coach Kinnear and we asked him how he sees tonight's game going.
 
'Tonight's game? We have a game tonight? Who are we playing? Is it that Yank city, what is it, erm, Greenland? Well, if we are playing tonight I suppose I better pick a side. I apologize gentlemen but I am still recovering from last night's celebrations. That was a great result you know. We used the same tactics. Bore them to death in the first half and then hit them hard and fast in the second. These players are the best bunch I have worked with since I became manager of Paraguay a couple of months ago. Tonight I will make changes. I will sit up the back of the bus instead of the front. We have a card school going and I am 14 pesos ahead. Nelson Valdez is in charge of the sweep tonight and the first eleven out the bag will play. I seen you with Lorenzo a few minutes ago. Could you understand what he said? I have spoke to him a few times and I cant understand a word. I think he's from Newcastle. Tonight is a celebration night. No alcohol though. I have ordered a case of Coke which should keep everyone happy. Couldn't believe how expensive it was. Also, did you know you don't buy it in cans here, they do it by weight?  We can beat Greenland and win the Group. I hope it's a nice trophy. The guys are looking forward to going home. What? We have to stay? Ffs what kind of tournament is this? '
 
Kinnear didn't look happy as he went back to his squad.
 
Gino's view from the team coach
 
A win tonight will see Paraguay win Group C with maximum points but no matter what, it is sure to be much tougher as they go into the knockout stages.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. If every girl looks like them in Paraguay then I want to move there ;)

    ReplyDelete