Thursday 5 March 2015

SHORT TALK

Brewers manager Clive Short took time out of Burtons busy pre season schedule to talk with the Burton Mail about the clubs relegation, his trip to Italy with Austria, Burtons' chances of promotion and, of course, Stephen Beddows' attendance at a pre season match.

BM: Firstly Clive, thanks for taking the time to talk to us, we know you are very busy at the moment.

CS: No problem, always happy to.

BM: Before we talk about Burton, what do think you took out of managing in the World Cup?

CS: Well, I certainly got a decent sun tan. To be honest not a great deal. the one thing I did learn is that some international players are prima donners. Dealing with some of them players was a nightmare I was glad to get back to my proper job.

BM: Ok, Burtons' relegation, what impact has it had on you, the players and the club as a whole?

CS: Well, everyone was pretty devastated. It's been said before how close we came to survival. Before I went off to Italy we had a club meeting, everyone who works at the club was there. I won't divulge what was said but when I came back everyone was positive about this coming season.

BM: William Kvist has just left and we hear Subasic is in talks with Monaco what can you tell us why you are letting 2 internationals leave the club and if you will get the money to reinvest.

CS: Well, what you need to realise is these 2 lads wanted stay and we all wanted them to but the fact is they are both on 20k a week. Wages we can't sustain. So unfortunately they will be leaving us. And yes, I will have the money from any player sales to reinvest back into the squad.

BM: Do you think we can go straight back up and how is the team shaping up?

CS: Of course I think we can get back up. If I didn't I wouldn't be sat here talking to you. As for the team, we've been frustrated in the market due to lack of funds but with the sales of Kvist and Subasic we hope to be very busy now. So we'll see where are on that front in the next 7-10 days.

BM: Ok, lets not avoid it any longer, Stephen Beddows was in attendance at a recent game at the invite of the chairman. He's said some things about you because you tipped Blackburn to get relegated. Plus stating his 'special' relationship with the Chairman, that he can have your job here when ever he wants it. How do feel about that? Also, did the two of you talk at all?

CS: Firstly, it's the chairmans football club, he can invite who he wants. I knew he was coming, can't say I was happy but it is what it is. And, to give credit where it's due he did ok with that half time do da. He came and spoke to me in the bar after the game. He must have had a couple of white wine spritzers cos he was mumbling a lot. I vaguely remember 4-4-2 being mentioned but beyond that...
In regards to his comments, toys and prams my friend. He can have this job whenever he wants? Is that right? I think he must be waiting for someone else to do the hard work and put a competitive team together and take all the glory. Lets face it, that guy at Cambridge Utd could have got Blackburn promoted with that squad. And I guess we'll see what Stephen is made of if they do get into a relegation scrap. As for his 'special' relationship with Ben, I'm not sure that's the relationship that should be in question here.

BM: What do you mean by that last comment.

CS: Well, I know Mrs Beddows has become a very popular figure with one of the players.

BM: Some pay back for her husbands exploits last season?

CS: You will have to ask her and Emile Heskey.

BM: I think that's best left there. Good luck and we all hope for a successful season. Thanks again Clive.

CS: Maybe best to before I get sued. Thanks and anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment