Tuesday 19 May 2015

ROBINSON THOUGHT SHORT WOULD GO

Following last nights cup defeat at West Ham Burton manager Clive Short turned down the advances of struggling Division 3 side Preston. Much to the surprise of his chairman Ben Robinson. With his manager sat by his side Robinson admitted that he even phoned Blackburn boss Stephen Beddows about replacing Short.


"Given the disagreements between myself and Clive of late I was convinced he would leave us. I was that convinced I did phone Stephen to sound him out about coming in. I have to say though I'm delighted Clive has decided to stay with us and continue the good work he is doing. I understand his frustrations in regards to transfer funds and we are working hard to bring additional finances into the club but things don't happen over night."

Short himself explained that he had no idea about the approach until after the game had finished.
" I was obviously concentrating on getting lads prepared for the game. It wasn't until afterwards Ben told me. I had a 20 minute conversation with the Preston Chairman and it ended with me telling him I had no interest in another relegation scrap. We are in a decent position here in our respective league and I'm much happier with the pressure this brings. I can't say I'm happy Ben phoned Stephen before I even knew of the approach but at the same time I understand him wanting to be prepared if I had chosen to go. I'm sure Mr Beddows had his fingers, toes and testicals all crossed that I did. I bet Mrs Beddows also had parts of her anatomy crossed I stayed. Stephen will have to wait a wee while longer."

1 comment:

  1. It was mine for the taking! Preston are in big trouble though. I'm up for the fight, but also ready for it to get worse before it gets better. It might have to...

    ReplyDelete